Job Reference REQ000930 Science Technician SGS College’s have an exciting opportunity for a Science Technician to work as part of the team in our growing and successful A-Level Department.Apply for this job
Location: Filton Campus
FTE Salary: Up to £24,630 (Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience)
Actual Salary: Up to £21,374.06
Contract Type: Permanent, Term Time only
Working Hours: 37 hours per week, 39 weeks per year
SGS is an Equal Opportunities and Disability Confident employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.
Term-Time Only Contracts will incur a salary adjustment if the start date is after 1st September.
Financial Rewards and Benefits:
- Opportunity to make a positive impact within the community and on learners’ lives
- Competitive Pension Scheme- Corporate and support roles have access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), a flexible and pension accessible from the age of 55, with generous employer contributions of 16%.
- Generous Annual leave entitlement plus the 8 bank holidays - 25 days corporate and support functions, increasing to 30 days after 5 academic years’ service (Full-Time Equivalent).
- Two weeks leave during the Christmas closedown period largely supported by the discretionary closure days provided by the College.
- Extensive professional development with ongoing support for your personal & professional development, including 25% tuition discount for immediate family of SGS employees.
- Family friendly policies and a proven commitment to supporting flexible working practices
- Access to ‘My Lifestyle’ discounted shopping benefits, cycle to work scheme and a Technology Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Free Annual Eye test
- All staff members can buy a TOTUM card(formerly known as NUS Extra cards), as part of being an affiliate member of the Students' Union
- Staff have access and supported to be part of inclusive or sustainable staff networks and communities
- Free car parking at all campuses (Except Queens Road Art School)
- Access to a wide variety of external health and wellbeing resources
- Subsidised onsite catering services including Starbucks Coffee
South Gloucestershire & Stroud College has an excellent reputation for delivering further education and work-based programmes in a range of subjects – from business to sport, construction to media, GCSE’s and A Levels to Honour Degree level programmes.
Our experienced and passionate staff work hard to help students and colleagues achieve their personal challenges and career goals. We are proud of SGS and committed to making the College the best it can be. We are currently working hard to achieve “Outstanding” status after being classified as “Good” in our last inspection. For more information, please visit https://www.sgscol.ac.uk/
SGS College’s have an exciting opportunity for a Science Technician to work as part of the team in our growing and successful A-Level Department.
Have you got experience of working in a lab, or have a science qualification?
We are looking for someone who can work in the science team to help with setting up labs ready for teaching, checking equipment, supporting practical sessions and day to day duties in the science lab.
To be suitable for this role you must hold a degree or equivalent or have substantial relevant subject experience.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To ensure the laboratories and tools are safe in accordance with Health and Safety Regulations.
- To ensure the safe storage and use of chemicals and other materials in accordance with current Health and Safety Regulations and good practice.
- To set up the laboratories and training areas on a daily basis in preparation for forthcoming classes, supplying equipment and material as requested by lecturers including the setting up of audio and visual equipment.
- To maintain laboratories and preparation rooms to a high standard.
Beneficial Skills & Qualifications
- Science A level or degree qualification (or equivalent).
- Previous experience of working in a laboratory or Technician role in industry or education.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Please apply online by: Monday 4th December 2023
Expected Interview Date: To be confirmed
If you have any queries please contact [email protected]
SGS College is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults and any offer of employment will be subject to a number of conditions including a requirement for providing satisfactory references. In line with KCSIE and having regard to all relevant guidance, a range of checks and online searches will also be conducted for successful candidates, and a satisfactory DBS Enhanced Disclosure will need to be obtained as a requirement of the job.
Contract: Permanent, Term Time only
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date: 4th December 2023
Salary: FTE Up to £24,630
Download Job Profile