SGS Active main aim is to get as many SGS College students involved in Sport as possible. Here at SGS College we believe in the benefits of being involved in Sport especially for our students Physical, Mental, Emotional and Social wellbeing. Here at SGS we have a specialist team who run a series of programmes for us.
SGS Active for All
The SGS Active for All provides all learners with a free opportunity to get active and be healthy on a regular basis. Some of the activities include;
- 6x1hr weekly health, physical activity and wellbeing sessions.
- Fit4Work – Industry specific physical activity programmes.
- Inter-department sport competitions.
- Energiser videos for teachers to use in classrooms.
- ‘Active Classrooms’ training.
SGS Mind Movers
The SGS Mind Movers programme is a targeted project aiming to improve the mental wellbeing of learners through physical activity. This collaborative project between SGS Active and SGS Wellbeing provides a number of opportunities including;
- Online mental health intervention using physical activity.
- Collaborative project with SGS Wellbeing Department.
- Weekly exercise sessions and wellbeing check-ins.
- Aiming to build confidence, resilience and self-esteem.
In September 2020 SGS College was recognised as an AoC Sport Inclusion Hub. As part of this commitment SGS College gives learners with disabilities equal access to opportunities to be physically active and lead healthy lifestyles.
- Providing opportunities for disabled and SEN learners to participate in physical activity on a regular basis.
- PAN-Disability Football Team competing in AOC Leagues.
- Upskilling inclusive learner ambassadors to help create an active culture in Prep for Work and Life.
Turn Up and Get Moving
The Turn up and Get Moving sessions are a fantastic opportunity for students to use their free time to get involved in some physical activity! The sessions allows learners to informally participate in physical activity up to 4x a week.
- 4x weekly exercise classes on TEAMS for all learners – HIIT, Pilates and Whole-Body Toning.
- Recreational lunch time sessions at Filton, WISE and Stroud campuses.
- AOC Strava Challenges.
This SGS Girl Can
The SGS Girl Can is designed to get as many female students at SGS College active as possible. The main aim of this programme is to develop an online active community for females to be a part of during their time SGS.
- Online physical activity and wellbeing community made up of learners who identify as female.
- Access to live online workouts, discussion groups, advice and workshops.
Talented Athlete Support Scheme (TASS)
The Talented Athlete Support Scheme (TASS) provides learner-athletes at the top of their playing pathways with the required support to excel in both their sport and academics.
- 51 Dual Career Athletes – Divided into two tiers based upon competition level
- Focus on academic progression routes alongside sports performance
- Welcome evening ran early December
- Academic flexibility
- Bespoke workshops and events – Alumni career pathways, motivation/goal setting, time management, nutrition, resilience and dealing with adversity, readiness to transition
For more information on any of these projects, please contact [email protected].