0800 0567 253
Apply for this apprenticeship here:
Download course information in PDF format
An Assistant Accountant provides support to internal and external customers and will work either as an assistant accountant within a practice or alternatively within the finance function of an organization. Part of their role will involve assisting in the day to day financial activities such as data entry to month end management accounts and/or year-end financial statements.
In addition, the Assistant Accountant may find themselves involved in
regulatory financial requirements such as the completion of VAT returns or
assisting in the preparation of tax
This apprenticeship typically takes 15-18 months to complete.
SGS has elected to deliver the on-programme-learning using the Association of Accounting Technician (AAT) Foundation Diploma and the Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting.
AAT as the lead awarding organisation for accounting have been involved in the development of the apprenticeship Standard and have mapped the diplomas to the Standard. Our recommended End Point Assessment Organisation is AAT.
Advantages of using the Diploma as the delivery model for the Apprenticeship Standard;
- A structured, proven training programme that equips the candidate with the skillset required for the industry
- Thorough mapping against the Standard ensuring all skills, knowledge and behaviours are covered
- Achievement of an industry-recognised accounting technical qualification
- Provides a platform for progress tracking
- Prepares the candidate for End Point Assessment with AAT
- Provides a basis for progression, within our outside the apprenticeship route
- External quality assurance through Ofqual regulated awarding organisation
- An appeals and redress process with the awarding organisation
Attendance at weekly classes for each module is mandatory for all apprentices.
Resources will be available through Smart Assessor, the e-portfolio platform used by the college for apprentices. Registration with AAT is required and will be an additional one-off fee.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours for the Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship
A Standard contains a list of the skills, knowledge and behaviours an apprentice will need to have learned by the end of their apprenticeship. A portfolio will be compiled throughout the apprenticeship to reflect this.
- Business Awareness
- IT Systems and Processes
- Ethical Standards
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Management Accounting
- Produce Quality and Accurate Information
- Use Systems and Processes
- Problem Solving
- Embracing Change
- Adding Value
- Ethics and Integrity
- Personal Accountability
- Team working and Collaboration
20% Off-The-Job Training
“Off-the-job training is a statutory requirement for an apprenticeship. It is training which is received by the apprentice, during the apprentice’s normal working hours, for the purpose of achieving the knowledge, skills and behaviours of the apprenticeship.”
In addition, there will be relevant activities in the workplace which will be discussed and planned with the assessor which will count towards the total hours required.
- Workplace induction
- Prepare an overhead absorption table
- Make year-end entries for depreciation, accruals, doubtful and irrecoverable debts
- Draw up Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet
- Complete a VAT 101 Return
- Present accounting information in a chart using Excel
Maths & English
This apprenticeship requires learners to achieve maths and English at Level 2. Typically, it is realistic for learners to progress up one level during the apprenticeship. At interview, we will carry out an assessment to determine current literacy and numeracy levels. We will take account of any support needs in determining the suitability of learners for this apprenticeship.
What are my career options?
Assistant Accountant, Trainee Accounting Technician, Accounts Clerk, Cashier, Finance Assistant, Purchase Ledger Clerk, Sales Ledger Clerk.
Apprenticeship information last updated: Friday 31st March 2023 @ 8.02am (1 day ago)
More about Apprenticeships
Our Apprenticeship Team are here to help guide you through your Apprenticeship journey, providing advice and guidance.[email protected]
Information for Learners
Information for Employers