0800 0567 253
Dates and Enrolment for this course here:
Please note you may only enrol on one course at a time, however you may enrol on additional courses upon completion of your current course.
- Advanced Learner Loans are available
- This course is FREE if you qualify to be funded by the National Skills Fund
To qualify for funding
- You must be aged 19 years or over as of 31/08/2021
- You must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- You must currently reside in England
- You must not already have achieved a level 3 or higher qualification in any subject
- You must not hold two or more A Levels
- If you earn below £18,525 you may qualify to be funded even if you already hold a Level 3 qualification or higher or 2 or more A Levels.
You will be contacted to discuss your funding options following your enrolment.
This is a Level 3 qualification and a reasonable level of English is beneficial to completing. The typical duration of this course is 20 weeks and self-commitment should be made to allow yourself time to provide detailed responses to the assignments. We recommend spending a minimum of 4 hours per week on this course.
About this course
Dementia is an illness that affects more and more people each year. It's important to have the skills, knowledge & understanding needed in order to help those who are affected by this terrible disease! You can find out how with our qualified dementia care courses which cover all aspects from diagnosis through to daily care.
Learning about dementia can be difficult. This course will help you understand the different types of this terrible disease and how to provide care that goes beyond just medication including personal interaction, communication skills training for family members or friends who may have been affected as well any formative treatment options available through care facilities near where they live if necessary.
Unit 1: Understanding dementia
Explore an introduction to common types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. Study the causes, effects and risk factors of dementia and gain an understanding of the importance of early diagnosis.
Unit 2: Understand how person-centred approaches are used to underpin the care and support of individuals with dementia
Gain an understanding of the importance of person-centred care for individuals with dementia and consider how each individual’s experience of dementia is different and how they can be supported.
Unit 3: Principles of communication and interaction in dementia care and support
Explore an introduction to various ways in which individuals with dementia may communicate. Discover the factors that could influence interactions and communication, and develop an understanding of how communication is an effective part of caring for and supporting individuals with dementia.
Unit 4: Supporting positive interaction, occupation and activity in dementia care
Gain an understanding of the range and benefits of positive interactions in dementia care. Discover the importance of promoting identity and inclusion and investigate how individuals with dementia can engage in activities.
Unit 5: Principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care and support
Develop an understanding of the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion within the context of dementia care. This unit highlights how to recognise and challenge discrimination and oppressive practices.
Unit 6: Understand how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and rights
Learn how the rights of individuals with dementia are protected, and how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and make decisions involving carers and others.
Unit 7: Principles of the administration of medication and well-being of individuals with dementia
Explore the common medications that could be used for individuals with dementia and the actions to take in the event of side effects or adverse reactions.
Benefits of completing this course. You will:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your skills to help create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Choose when and where to study, as courses are delivered as distance learning
- Have the support you need to succeed, as personal tutors are assigned to you.
How will I learn?
You will study via an online platform or if preferred you can have paper booklets to research and to submit your answers.
With you every step of the way!
- Get more from your online courses, let us help you succeed with bespoke packages led by our dedicated online support team
- Occupational specialists and tutors just a click away to support you
- Access to a free online community for those suffering with adverse mental health, 24 hours a day
- Enjoy incredible discounts while you study with your NUS/Totum student card
- New to online learning? Require additional support? Let us help you with each step you take.
For more information about this course please email [email protected]Download course information in PDF format