0800 0567 253
Dates and Enrolment for this course here:
L2 Self-harm and Suicide Awareness and Prevention Level 2 | Certificate in Self-harm and Suicide Awareness and Prevention (RQF)Information Dates and Enrolment
Please note you may only enrol on one course at a time, however you may enrol on additional courses upon completion of your current course.
To meet the funding requirements of this course:
- You must be aged 19 years or over as of 31/08/2021
- You must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- You must currently reside in England
- If you are aged 19-23 and do not already hold a Full Level 2 Qualification we will need to discuss options with you prior to commencing your course.
You will need to understand that:
- This is a Level 2 qualification and a reasonable level of English is beneficial to completing
- The typical duration of this course is 12 weeks and self-commitment should be made to allow yourself time to provide detailed responses to the assignments.
- We recommend spending a minimum of 2-4 hours per week on this course
This qualification is aimed at anyone seeking to improve their understanding and awareness of suicide and self-harm. The knowledge individuals will gain is not sector-specific but can be applied to a broad range of personal and professional situations. Individuals who may find this course useful to their professional life include: teachers, mental health workers, crisis helpline volunteers, support workers, individuals in a safeguarding role, parents or guardians, and others working with individuals who may be at increased risk of self-harm or suicide.
This course is split into four manageable units
Unit 1: Introduction to suicide and self-harm awareness
Section 1: Understand what is meant by self-harm and suicide
Section 2: Understand the triggers which might cause someone to self-harm or attempt suicide
Section 3: Understand media and societal attitudes to self-harm and suicide
Unit 2: Recognising the signs of suicide and self-harm in individuals
Section 1: Signs, thoughts, feelings and behaviour
Section 2: Understand how to initially approach someone who may be self-harming or considering suicide
Unit 3: The principles of suicide and self-harm prevention
Section 1: Understand the role of conversation in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
Section 2: Understand the importance of family and friend support in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
Section 3: Know support and treatment options available to individuals and families in relation to self-harm and suicide
Unit 4: Support for individuals when dealing with grief after suicide
Section 1: Understand the role of suicide prevention campaigns
Section 2: Understand the importance of encouraging healthy coping strategies
Section 3: Understanding grief following suicide and the impact it can have on individuals
Section 4: Understand the reach of grief following suicide
Section 5: Understand the importance of support for those affected by grief following suicide
Benefits of completing this course. You will:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your skills to help create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Choose when and where to study, as courses are delivered as distance learning
- Have the support you need to succeed, as personal tutors are assigned to you
How will I learn?
You will study via an online platform or if preferred you can have paper booklets to research and to submit your answers.
L2 Understanding Children & Young People's Mental HealthLearn more
L2 Certificate in Mental Health First Aid and Mental Health Advocacy in the WorkplaceLearn more
L2 Certificate in Understanding Domestic AbuseLearn more
With you every step of the way!
- Get more from your online courses, let us help you succeed with bespoke packages led by our dedicated online support team
- Occupational specialists and tutors just a click away to support you
- Access to a free online community for those suffering with adverse mental health, 24 hours a day
- Enjoy incredible discounts while you study with your NUS/Totum student card
- New to online learning? Require additional support? Let us help you with each step you take.
For more information about this course please email [email protected]Download course information in PDF format
Course information last updated: Tuesday 21st March 2023 @ 8.03am (22 hours ago)