0800 0567 253
Dates and Enrolment for this course here:
Please note you may only enrol on one course at a time, however you may enrol on additional courses upon completion of your current course.
You will need to understand that:
- This is a Level 2 qualification and a reasonable level of English is beneficial to completing
- The typical duration of this course is 12 weeks and self-commitment should be made to allow yourself time to provide detailed responses to the assignments.
- We recommend spending a minimum of 2-4 hours per week on this course
Healthcare providers are always looking for candidates who have completed dementia training. UK and international learners will be making the perfect first steps towards a career in the health and social care sector by completing our Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care.
This qualification ensures that your learners develop an essential understanding of caring for people with dementia, and covers the benefits of positive communication, use of medication and importance of highly individualised, person-centred care.
Upon completion of their dementia training, UK and international learners could go on to study our Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care.
Unit 1: Dementia awareness
This unit explains what dementia is, the most common types of dementia and the causes associated with them. It also looks at how other people can have an impact on an individual with dementia.
Unit 2: Person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
Your learners will look at the knowledge and understanding required to enable an individual with dementia to experience well-being. The role of carers is also covered.
Unit 3: Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
Your learners will gain awareness of the different communication needs and abilities of individuals with dementia in order to encourage positive interaction.
Unit 4: Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
Your learners will be introduced to equality, diversity and inclusion, which are all important when practising the person-centred care approach.
Unit 5: Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
This unit will help your learners understand the medication available to and appropriate for individuals with dementia, and explores the specific needs that some individuals may have when receiving medication.
Unit 6: Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
Your learners will look at the different behaviours of individuals with dementia and how to respond to certain types of behaviour.
Unit 7: Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
This unit explores how engaging in social activities to enhance mental, physical and social well-being can benefits individuals with dementia.
Benefits of completing this course. You will:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your skills to help create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Choose when and where to study, as courses are delivered as distance learning
- Have the support you need to succeed, as personal tutors are assigned to you.
How will I learn?
You will study via an online platform or if preferred you can have paper booklets to research and to submit your answers.
With you every step of the way!
- Get more from your online courses, let us help you succeed with bespoke packages led by our dedicated online support team
- Occupational specialists and tutors just a click away to support you
- Access to a free online community for those suffering with adverse mental health, 24 hours a day
- Enjoy incredible discounts while you study with your NUS/Totum student card
- New to online learning? Require additional support? Let us help you with each step you take.
For more information about this course please email [email protected].