0800 0567 253
Dates and Enrolment for this course here:
Please note you may only enrol on one course at a time, however you may enrol on additional courses upon completion of your current course.
You will need to understand that:
- This is a Level 2 qualification and a reasonable level of English is beneficial to completing
- The typical duration of this course is 12 weeks and self-commitment should be made to allow yourself time to provide detailed responses to the assignments.
- We recommend spending a minimum of 2-4 hours per week on this course
This course is catered for those who work with children. Our Allergy Awareness course is split up into five units, two of which are mandatory and then you select one out of the three optional units, based on what is most relevant to you and your career/aspirations. Each unit is then split into smaller sections.
Units 1 and 2 are mandatory units.
The qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners who wish to develop their knowledge and understanding of allergy awareness. It is designed for those who wish to understand allergies, the causes of allergies and what to do in case of an allergic reaction.
There are three optional units which cater for those in different sectors: those who work in childcare (Unit 3), those who work with adults (Unit 4), and those who work in the service sector (Unit 5).
This course is split into three manageable units:
Unit 1: Allergens, allergies and intolerances (MANDATORY)
Section 1: Understand food allergens, allergies and intolerances.
Section 2: Know the methods for allergy diagnosis and treatment.
Section 3: Know the methods for intolerance diagnosis and treatment.
In this unit, you will learn the background knowledge behind allergies, allergens and intolerances. They will also gain an understanding of how allergies and intolerances are diagnosed and treated.
Unit 2: Food labelling and packaging (MANDATORY)
Section 1: Understand the importance of food labelling.
Section 2: Understand regulations for food labelling.
Section 3: Understand packaging regulations.
In Unit 2, you will look at the different types of food labels and why they are so important in keeping those with allergies safe. You will then come to understand the regulations surrounding food labelling and be able to recognise when a label is incorrect.
Unit 3: Allergy awareness for those working with children (OPTIONAL)
Section 1: Know the signs and effects of allergic reactions.
Section 2: Understand how to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction.
Unit 3 is an optional unit and all the information is focussed upon children. they will learn how to recognise the signs and symptoms of allergic reactions on different body parts and how to perform first aid on those who have experienced a severe reaction. Learners will then look at what can be done in order to reduce the risk in terms of medication, avoidance and medical ID jewellery.
Benefits of completing this course. You will:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your skills to help create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Choose when and where to study, as courses are delivered as distance learning
- Have the support you need to succeed, as personal tutors are assigned to you.
How will I learn?
You will study via an online platform or if preferred you can have paper booklets to research and to submit your answers.
With you every step of the way!
- Get more from your online courses, let us help you succeed with bespoke packages led by our dedicated online support team
- Occupational specialists and tutors just a click away to support you
- Access to a free online community for those suffering with adverse mental health, 24 hours a day
- Enjoy incredible discounts while you study with your NUS/Totum student card
- New to online learning? Require additional support? Let us help you with each step you take.
For more information about this course please email [email protected].