0800 0567 253
Dates and Enrolment for this course here:
Please note you may only enrol on one course at a time, however you may enrol on additional courses upon completion of your current course.
- Advanced Learner Loans are available
- This course is FREE if you qualify to be funded by the National Skills
To qualify for funding
- You must be aged 19 years or over as of 31/08/2021
- You must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- You must currently reside in England
- You must not already have achieved a level 3 or higher qualification in any subject
- You must not hold two or more A Levels
- If you earn below £18,525 you may qualify to be funded even if you already hold a Level 3 qualification or higher or 2 or more A Levels.
- You will be contacted to discuss your funding options following your enrolment.
This is a Level 3 qualification and a reasonable level of English is beneficial to completing. The typical duration of this course is 20 weeks and self-commitment should be made to allow yourself time to provide detailed responses to the assignments. We recommend spending a minimum of 4 hours per week on this course.
This mental health course will enable you to develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of mental health and well-being. It will equip learners with the skills needed to work in mental health services, making it ideal for those who want to progress in the health and social care sector.
With increasing worries around each life stage, whether linked to exam pressure, work expectations, unemployment or financial difficulties, it is not surprising that individuals may struggle to cope with the demands of everyday life. Approximately one in four people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year. This is why it is more important than ever before to increase our understanding of mental health in order to tackle this growing health concern and challenge the stigma attached to mental ill health.
Unit 1: Understand the role of the mental health care worker
Section 1: Understand the role of reflective practice and how to evaluate and develop own skills and knowledge as part of continual professional development
Section 2: Understand the different roles and responsibilities relevant to those involved in providing mental health care
Unit 2: Understand mental health conditions in context
Section 1: Understand mental health principles
Section 2: Understand legislation in the context of mental health conditions
Section 3: Understand how campaigns and strategies can be used to promote mental well-being
Section 4: Understand attitudes towards mental health in society
Unit 3: Living with a mental health condition
Section 1: Understand how living with a mental health condition impacts on individuals
Section 2: Understand how families of individuals with mental health conditions are affected
Unit 4: Mental health conditions and destructive behaviour
Section 1: Why a person with a mental health condition might be vulnerable to suicidal thoughts and self-harm, the warning signs and how to support an individual who is contemplating suicide
Section 2: Understand the potential consequences for individuals who engage in self-destructive behaviour
Section 3: Understand why an individual with a mental health condition might engage in criminal activity and how the criminal justice system may impact on and protect those with mental health conditions
Section 4: Know how to support someone with a mental health condition who displays self-destructive behaviour
Unit 5: Understanding treatment of mental health conditions
Section 1: Understand the role of diagnosis and planning in the recovery process for individuals with a mental health condition
Section 2: Know a range of treatments available for individuals with mental health conditions
Benefits of completing this course. You will:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your skills to help create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Choose when and where to study, as courses are delivered as distance learning
- Have the support you need to succeed, as personal tutors are assigned to you.
How will I learn?
You will study via an online platform or if preferred you can have paper booklets to research and to submit your answers.
With you every step of the way!
- Get more from your online courses, let us help you succeed with bespoke packages led by our dedicated online support team
- Occupational specialists and tutors just a click away to support you
- Access to a free online community for those suffering with adverse mental health, 24 hours a day
- Enjoy incredible discounts while you study with your NUS/Totum student card
- New to online learning? Require additional support? Let us help you with each step you take.
For more information about this course please email [email protected].Download course information in PDF format