Whether you’re a top-level athlete or you just want to give something a go, you can get involved with Basketball here at SGS Sport. We have teams that compete in the Elite Academy Basketball League (EABL) and the AOC South West League. We also have strong links with Bristol Flyers where we offer opportunities to compete in the Basketball England national basketball league (NBL) and the British Basketball League (BBL).
The Programme Includes:
- A 1st and 2nd team competing in the EABL and AOC.
- Opportunities to represent Bristol Flyers at junior and senior NBL and BBL.
- 12 hours of elite basketball training per week (Team and player development).
- Individualised development player 1-1’s.
- Player performance profiling.
- Video analysis.
- Team and Individual Strength and Conditioning programmes.
- Fixtures against EABL and AOC academy teams.
- Elite professional coach dedicated to player development and team performance.
Higher Education Basketball BUCS Team
The SGS Basketball Academy has an exclusive Higher Education offer to be part of our BUCS league team. Visit our webpage to view University courses on offer at SGS https://www.sgscol.ac.uk/study/uni.
Recently a number of our current academy players were called up to the Bristol Flyers BBL squad to compete at the highest level of professional basketball in the UK.
- Marvin Dinnall
- Finley Woodward
- Nassim Ladjimi
- Louie Weaver
- Thomas Browne
In recent years we have sent a number of our players to NCAA Division 1 & 2 colleges. A number of our players have also represented their respective national teams:
- Dwayne Lautier Ogunleye – Bradley University (NCAA D1) & Great Britain Senior Men
- Ariel John Edu – University of Toledo (NCAA D1) & Philippines U19
- Deane Williams – Augusta University (NCAA D2) & Great Britain U20
- Tamas Okros – Post University (NCAA D2) & Great Britain U20
- Josh Rogers – Carson-Newman University (NCAA D2)
- Nathan Symons – Wales U16
- Jayden Edwards – Wales U16
- Finley Woodward – Scotland U16
Our basketball academy has a long-standing tradition as one of the most success academies in the UK. Our most recent academy achievements include being finalists in the EABL in the 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 seasons. More recently a number of our players have gone on to represent the Bristol Flyers in the BBL squad competing at highest level of professional basketball in the UK.
Top Level Coaching
Those in either the college or Higher Education academy receive up to 20 hours per week of training through a combination of team, individual and strength and conditioning sessions, from our basketball coaching staff, Chris Bourne and Ieuan Alex Jones.
They are supported by a full-time strength and conditioning team alongside our sports therapist department.
- Bristol Flyers 2nd Men’s team Head Coach.
- England U15 Boys Head Coach (Copenhagen Invitational tournament).
- Former Bristol Flyers player (Semi-professional - BBL & NBL D1).
- Bristol Flyers U18 Men’s team Head Coach.
- Great Britain U16 Men’s Assistant Coach (European Championships 2017 & 2018).
- Wales U16 & U18 International player (European Championships 2010 & 2011).
Links With the Bristol Flyers
We work in association with the Bristol Flyers Basketball Club. The club’s junior age group teams feed into our Academy programme, which in turn feeds into the Flyers senior teams, which compete in the professional British Basketball League (BBL) and the Basketball England National League (NBL).
Our top Academy players regularly train with the Flyers senior teams and also have the opportunity to represent the club in the U18s National League competition.
Our Basketball Academy is looking for students who are hard working, committed and disciplined, and who are both willing to be coached and want to succeed. Our aim is that, upon leaving the Academy, our athletes will be best prepared to take that next step in their lives.