Preview Evening of Bristol School of Art End of Year Art Show, exhibiting Fine Art Degree and Foundation Diploma students work.
The Ceremony is our annual event to congratulate our completing student and award individuals for their outstanding performance during the academic year.
Why choose SGS?
Over the next decade, 80% of new jobs will require a higher education qualification. With our excellent facilities and resources, experienced tutorial support, and close links with the University of Gloucestershire, we can help you get to where you want to be.
Student satisfaction at SGS College continues to rise and is out performing the sector average according to latest figures from the National Student Survey (NSS) 2016. An impressive 87% of SGS College students agreed with the statement ‘Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course’. This is 2% above the Benchmark for England.
The National Student Survey is an annual survey of final year undergraduates, which collects feedback on your time at university. This information is used to create the much valued league tables and provides prospective students information that may affect their decisions of what and where to study.
The 2016 NSS results, demonstrate positives across the main areas in measuring satisfaction at SGS College including:
- For Teaching on my Course - 89% which is 2 percentage points ahead of the Higher Education sector benchmark.
- For Assessment and Feedback - 81%, which is 7 percentage points ahead of the sector benchmark and 3 percentage marks above the top quartile of universities.
- For Academic Support - 87% putting SGS College 5 percentage points ahead of the sector average.
Here are just a few more reasons to choose SGS for your higher education:
- Competitive Tuition Fees
- One-to-one advice and guidance
- Quality teaching from experienced staff
- Smaller class sizes for a more personal learning experience
- A supportive and personal approach
- Level 3 Bursary for full-time SGS students, progressing onto one of SGS College’s HND’s, Foundation Degrees or Degrees.
Our Degrees and Foundation Degrees are validated by our Partner University, the University of Gloucestershire. This means your degree will be awarded by the University of Gloucestershire, even though you’ve studied at SGS your will graduate with your fellow students at either Gloucester Cathedral or Cheltenham Racecourse.
We offer the following higher education routes:
- BSc Sports Coaching – 2 year fast-track course
- BA (Hons) – Full 3 year degree in Art History and Design & Applied Arts(* subject to validation)
- BA (Hons) Drama and Performance – 1 year course, to be completed after a Foundation Degree or HND in a relevant subject.
- BA (Hons) Musical Theatre – 1 year Level 6 course, to be completed after a Foundation Degree or HND in a relevant subject.
- BSc (Hons) Zoological Management – 1 year Level 6 course to be completed after a Foundation Degree (* subject to validation)
- Foundation Degrees are provided in partnership with the University of Gloucestershire. On completing their course, students can progress to an honours year at SGS College, University of Gloucestershire or another university of their choice.
- Two-year full-time HND courses are available in a range of vocational subjects. These courses are awarded by Pearson. Students may be able to progress onto a top up course to gain a degree.
- HNC courses are designed for students who are employed, and want to give their career a boost by studying part-time. These courses are awarded by Pearson.
- Short and professional provide learners the accredited industry recognised qualification, enhancing career opportunities. Awarded by a variety of awarding bodies.
- NVQs vocationally recognised qualifications completed whilst working in a suitable job role.
If you want to aim higher, university isn’t your only option. South Gloucestershire and Stroud College offers a range of higher education courses on your doorstep, including HNC/HND, foundation degrees, BA (Hons), BSc (Hons) short and professional and NVQs at Levels 4 to 7.
The decision to study for a higher education qualification could be one of the most important you ever make. Higher education qualifications can give you the knowledge, skills and confidence you need for a head start in your chosen career. With SGS, continuing your education can be affordable, too.
At South Gloucestershire and Stroud College we are committed to ensuring that our students receive the best possible learning experience.
The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) is responsible for assessing the quality and standards of Higher Education nationally and in 2013 they confirmed that academic standards and the quality of student learning opportunities at SGS meets UK expectations. They also identified the following features of good Practice:
The effectiveness of our personal tutoring arrangements, and
The opportunities for our students to participate in field trips and excursions
What our students say:
“SGS College delivers a laid back yet professional approach to higher education that prepares its students for a variety of sporting careers. The staff prove an excellent balance between structure and freedom to nurture an enjoyable, proactive, and responsible learning environment.”
Student Lead Representative 2014-15
“Without the support from all of you during my foundation I wouldn’t have made it this far, but most importantly thank you for believing in my abilities and pushing me to do better, you’re the
best tutors I’ve ever had!”
“Bristol Art School is the epitome of ‘small is beautiful’. From the first week, I seemed to be on first name terms with almost everybody. The culture of acknowledging people (as opposed to walking past) is incredibly hospitable. Partly the teaching, everyone is very committed and enthusiastic about their field and also, equally, about teaching us about it – it’s really most inspiring! Literally everybody seems to enjoy their own work.”
Fine Art student 2014-15.
“The location of Bristol School of art is perfect, right in the centre of Bristol’s student Life!
I personally enjoy the whole experience of studying independently at times, where you may
Progress at your own pace. The facilities are great to study within, I am really enjoying being challenged to try new methods of artistic techniques. It is both interesting and worthwhile”.
Bristol School of Art 2014-15.
“SGS College has small class sizes with excellent support from teachers and amazing facilities.”
SGS Student 2014-15
Most University focus on contemporary dance, but SGS College has a a good variety
Of styles from ballet to hip hop.”
SGS Student 2014-15
This course gives a good balance between practical and theory, being delivered in great studios.”
SGS Student 2014-15
“SGS gave me the practical skills and knowledge of Musical Theatre. It was brilliant preparation for
My Postgraduate Acting course at Central School of Speech and Drama.
Previous Performing Arts student
“The course adapts you, makes you employable and teaches you the skills you need to progress in the industry.”
Previous SGS Student
“So many people have inspired me since being on this course. Everyone is from very different backgrounds with very different experiences. Some have travelled, some have lots of conservation experience, and some have none. Some people are academics, others are hands on learners with little academic experience. Every single person on the course had something to offer and stories to share. A really great group of people!”
Previous SGS Student
“You get to see loads of work so you can decide what you want to do yourself. Before this course I never dreamt I could do an MA or make my own work, but I am now!”
Previous SGS Student
The city of Bristol is small enough to get to know well, but large and cosmopolitan enough to have an enormous amount to offer.
Bristol has a vibrant nightlife, with pubs, bars, cinemas and clubs, and a thriving music and arts scene. There’s always something to do, from shopping to ice-skating, and from museums to restaurants.
Set in the rolling hills of the Cotswolds, Stroud is renowned for the arts, with a wealth of festivals and events running throughout the year. The regency town of Cheltenham, with its internationally renowned festivals, and the city of Gloucester, with its waterfront culture, are both nearby.
To apply for a higher education course at South Gloucestershire and Stroud College, visit www.ucas.com or call 0871 468 0 468.